Spend your summer helping children connect with animals, each other, and their inner sense of compassion!
The Camp Kindness Counselor Intern will assist with Camp Kindness. This is a weekday program for children ages 8-14 years that focuses on fostering compassion for all living beings. Camp runs Monday through Friday, July 9 to August 3 with a special camp August 6-10. Interns in this role are crucial for providing a safe and fun environment for the children we serve. This internship provides an opportunity to work at a unique summer camp that encourages children to learn about the plight of farmed animals and how those animals are similar to humans. Camp Kindness also teaches children to explore more compassionate choices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Educators in leading activities and supervising campers
- Facilitate connections between campers and animal residents
- Ensure that children have a positive, fun, and educational experience
- Help with set up of the camp room and cleaning up at the end of the day
- Organizing and preparing camp materials
- Other tasks and duties as needed
- Have experience working with children between the ages 8-14 years either in a formal or informal setting (e.g. summer camp, classrooms, parks, tutoring, etc.)
- An understanding of what is age-appropriate information for children of various ages, as well as age-appropriate ways to communicate that information
- Be comfortable or willing to learn how to work with a variety of farmed animals (e.g. cows, horses, pigs, etc.)
- Willingness to learn specific stories and facts about our animal residents
- Familiar with the mission of Catskill Animal Sanctuary – vegetarians and vegans are encouraged to apply!
- Be able to follow detailed instructions and meet schedules
- Be able to work independently as well as collaboratively with other interns, volunteers and staff
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions
- Training in First Aid and/or CPR is a plus
Camp Kindness internships are available from the beginning of July through mid-August. Candidates must be able to commit to all weeks of camp (July 9 to August 10), plus mandatory training during the first week of July. Interns are expected to work Monday through Friday for about 7.5 hours per day.
Please send an email to Tracy Willcox, Intern & Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org, including:
- The position title in the subject line of the email
- A resume
- A cover letter telling us why you’d like to intern with Catskill, what you hope to get out of this internship, and anything else you’d like us to know
- Three professional references