Media relationships are critical to PETA's methodology, and the media relations team is a crucial part of PETA's U.S. and international media campaign strategy. The media relations team develops and maintains relationships with the media, helps develop stories about PETA's work, and sets the approach for the presentation of those stories. The public relations officer will be a crucial part of that team and will be responsible for helping ensure its success for PETA.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Establish, develop and maintain contacts with reporters, editors, podcast hosts, and producers who cover, or would be interested in covering, issues related to PETA’s work, across all media platforms.
- Research and identify appropriate local and national media outlets and podcasts for placing coverage of PETA's efforts, including critical investigative, legal, and corporate animal-protection campaigns.
- Develop story ideas to highlight PETA’s work, particularly the organization’s lesser-known efforts.
- Draft creative, concise, and interesting story pitches.
- Keep up to date on job transitions/changes in the journalism industry.
- Monitor trends in media coverage and news readership.
- Represent the organization to the media.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
- Degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of five years of media relations experience
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge of the media industry
- Excellent working knowledge of print, broadcast, podcasting, and online media outlets
- Established relationship with national US reporters and editors
- Interest in animal rights issues and PETA campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships and deal with a variety of people in a professional manner
- Proven exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proven excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Professional appearance and adherence to a healthy vegan lifestyle
- Support for PETA's philosophy and the ability to advocate PETA's positions professionally
- Commitment to the objectives of the organization